Launch of the NULS main-net v1.2.0| Addition of Random Number Generation Support
We will launch the NULS main-net wallet v1.2.0 at 14:00 on Feb 28th, 2019（GMT+8). All users are strongly recommended to update in time. The main-net will switch to the new protocol after the percentage of consensus nodes with upgraded wallets reaches 90%.
New Features of NULS Main-net v1.2.0:
- The interface for calculating the consensus amount of the whole network is updated. The statistical method is to calculate the sum of all the consensus lock amounts. The previous statistics do not include the margin that is locked when the node is created.
- The maximum consumption of the view method in the smart contract is changed to 100 million, and can be configured by max.view.gas=10xxxxxxxxx00 in the module.ini file;
- The transaction remark information size limit is modified;
- The bottom layer supports random numbers.
The NULS main-net v1.2.0 which adds a decentralized random number generation protocol. The main-net will switch to the new protocol after the percentage of consensus nodes with upgraded wallets reaches 90% and the height of the test-net increases another 30,000 blocks.
The Role of Blockchain Random Numbers
In the blockchain, random number generation technology is a very critical element. In essence, the core challenge of distributed ledgers is to randomly select the problem of the blocker. This randomness can be confirmed by the whole network, and cannot be manipulated or predicted. Otherwise, any malicious node can control the longest chain by manipulating the random number, thus achieving a double spend attack.
At the same time, random numbers are also the key technologies that many DAPPs need to use in the blockchain. Only safe and effective random numbers can ensure the normal operation of the application and the security of the assets on the chain.
Design Ideas of NULS Random Number Function
At present, this function has been launched on NULS test network. This function corresponds to the wallet version number 1.2.0-beta1. The NULS random number function is based on the characteristics of the POC consensus. At present, there are more than 80 nodes in the main network. A 256-bit random seed is required when they generate a block, and the seed is strictly promised by the last block generation of the node. If one node continues to generate a block, the second block does not submit a random seed. This ensures that the random seed for each production cannot be calculated because there is no way to calculate the random seed of someone else.
When Dapps are used, we can combine multiple random seeds to generate a random seed that needs to be used. This ensures that random numbers cannot be determined in advance, ensuring fairness and security.
Characteristics of the NULS Random Number Function
- Diversity of use: The underlying layer only provides a random seed for each block. It does not limit how to generate the final random number. The DApp will not be limited by this function and can tailor the random algorithm to suit its own business.
- Best scenario recommendation: The future result or “oracle” case scenario represented by the guessing class specifies the random seeds near the next “n” blocks, and combines them to generate the final result. The underlying random seed of NULS in this scenario can be used, which allows all the consensus nodes to participate in the selection, and in doing so fully guarantees the security and fairness of the algorithm. At this stage, it is far superior to other blockchain platforms.
How to Participate
In this update of NULS main network, the underlying layer supports the random number function, which means that the NULS main network can support the development of guessing DAPP applications. Teams and individuals with relevant needs are welcome to build the corresponding DAPP on the NULS main website.
The NULS random number usage method provides a special document. The usage method is also divided into two types: interface and smart contract. DAPP developers can choose the appropriate method according to their own needs. The document address is as follows: http://docs.nuls.io/smartContract /randomRPC.html
- After the wallet update is completed, please press Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page.
- If the latest wallet version displayed by your old client is not v1.2.0, you need to turn to the official download channel above to download the new version and update it.
- For node operators, after downloading the new version and completing the update, please start the new wallet after you stop running the old version. Do not run two wallets at the same time.